- > The Emigration Process
- > Am I Eligible to Emigrate to Australia?
- > Skills Assessment
- > Expression of Interest
- > 189 Visa
- > 190 Visa
- > 489 Visa
- > Employer Sponsored Visa
- > Permanent Residency Visas
- > Temporary Live & Work Visa Classes
- > IELTS
- > How long does emigration take
- > Start the Process
What is a 489 Visa?
The 489 Visa is a Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 489) and it is a Provisional Work Visa for those who have the qualifications and skills required to address Australia’s skill shortage, but do not meet the pass mark required to obtain a Skilled Independent Visa. The Visa is valid for four years, and you must live and work in a Specified Regional Area. This type of Visa also provides a pathway to Permanent Residence.
Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must:
- Submit an Expression of Interest (see the Expression of Interest page)
- Be nominated by a state or territory or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area in Australia (see below)
- Have a Skills Assessment (see Skills Assessment page)
- Be less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
- Meet English language requirements (see IELTS page)
- Be able to score at least 60 on the points test
- Anywhere in: Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory, Tasmania, Western Australia, Aust Capital Territory
- Queensland (anywhere except the Brisbane metropolitan area)
- New South Wales (anywhere except Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong)
What does this Visa entitle me to?
This Visa allows you and your dependents to:
- Temporarily live and work in a designated regional area in Australia
- Study in a specified regional area of Australia
- Travel in and out of Australia while the Visa is valid
- Apply for Permanent Residence through the Skilled Regional (Residence) Visa after certain conditions have been met.
Obligations you would need to make on this Visa
There are obligations that your nominating state or territory will require you to meet. These include that you:
- Stay in that state or territory for at least two years
- Keep the state or territory informed of any changes to your address
- Complete surveys and provide information when asked
How we can help you
If you’re unsure if this is the right Visa for you or need to know what to do next, our Australia migration experts can help you.
Take our Free Visa Assessment today, just click on the yellow box below to get started.FREE Visa Assessment We make the whole process simple