Temporary Live & Work Visa Classes

As the name implies, a Temporary Live and Work Visa allows you to live and work in Australia for a set period of time.  There are many benefits to living and working in Australia, but if you’re only looking to gain experience of working in Australia for a short while with the intention of returning to the UK, there are different temporary Live and Work Visa classes available to you.

Working Holiday Visa

This class of Visa will give you the right to have an extended holiday in Australia while topping up your bank balance with short-term work.  Although this Visa is less rigorous in terms of eligibility it is only open to those between 18-30 years of age.  Note that if your primary reason is to go to Australia to work, then you should consider another Visa.

On this Visa you can:

  • Enter Australia within 12 months of grant
  • Stay up to 12 months
  • Leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the Visa is valid
  • Work in Australia for up to six months with each employer
  • Study for up to four months

Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457)

The Temporary Work visa (457) allows Skilled Workers like Electricians to go to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years.  It also allows you to bring your family to work or study in Australia and travel in and out of the country as often as you please.

To meet the eligibility requirements you must:

  • Be nominated to work for an approved business
  • Be Skills Assessed
  • Meet the skills and qualification requirements
  • Meet English language requirements (see IELTS page)

Skilled Regional Sponsored (489) visa

The 489 Visa is a Skilled Regional Sponsored visa (Subclass 489) and it is a Provisional Work Visa for those who have the qualifications and skills required to address Australia’s skill shortage, but do not meet the pass mark required to obtain a Skilled Independent Visa.  The Visa is valid for four years, and you must live and work in a specified regional area.  This type of Visa also provides a pathway to Permanent Residence should you want it.  Read more information about the 489 Visa on our website.

What if I want to change my Visa?

If you find yourself in Australia and want to change to another type of Visa, you will need to check that you meet the criteria of the new Visa and that you can transfer from the one you already hold.

From Temporary to Permanent

If you find that you can’t bear to leave Australia when you’re there one way to go from a Temporary Visa to a more Permanent one is to enter on a Working Holiday Visa, become sponsored by a company on a Temporary Business Visa, then move over to Permanent Residency – all whilst you’re in Australia.  Or you could simply choose the Skilled Regional Sponsored (489) Visa before you leave.

How we can help you

If you’re unsure if any of the above Visas are right for you or need to know what to do next, our Australia migration experts can help you.

Take our Free Visa Assessment today, just click on the yellow box below to get started.

FREE Visa Assessment We make the whole process simple