Move to Australia check-list
We’ve set out a detailed check-list about what you should consider before leaving and on arrival to your new life. Hopefully this should create a clear picture about what’s involved in whole process of moving to Australia.
In the first 24 -12 months before you should:
- Start planning your move.
- Discuss and seek advice from family & friends. Research about where to you want to live.
- Research about potential job opportunities.
- Apply for a Visa.
- Budget for the move and start to reduce any debts.
Six months before you leave you should:
- Update your CV.
- Search for jobs in Australia.
- Apply for Employment.
- Apply for Australian Health Insurance.
- Enrol your children into a local School.
- Apply/Enrol in a University/College.
- Consider if you want to put your current house on the market.
- Search for temporary accommodation before you leave and in Australia.
- Sell any unwanted items.
- Renew passport and ensure it covers the duration of your Visa.
- Book your flights to Australia.
One month before you should:
- Consider booking a hire car at your arrival destination.
- Book temporary accommodation in Australia.
- Gather all financial/tax statements.
- Gather all utility statements.
- Collect all medical files.
- Pay off all outstanding bills and cancel accounts.
- Consider selling your house, car and/or belongings.
- Transport/ship some belongings to Australia.
- Buy some Australian currency.
On arrival to Australia you should:
- Collect any hire car on arrival.
- Check-in into temporary accommodation.
- Familiarise yourself with your location and surroundings.
- Purchase a prepaid mobile phone.
- Purchase prepaid internet for your computer.
- Contact family & friends
- Register at your local consulate.
- Visit Centrelink for employment and financial assistance.
- Visit chosen school or childcare.
In your first three months in Australia you should:
- Find permanent accommodation (to rent or purchase) in Australia.
- Obtain a tax file number (TFN).
- Obtain an Australian driver’s license.
- Purchase a new/used car.
- Set up Medicare.
- Find an accountant.
FREE Visa Assessment We make the whole process simple